Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:00:17 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: off topic - video compression .avi -> .mov

Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I have produced a large .avi file
> (http://hub.freebsd.org/~kuku/xris.avi.gz 65 MB/120 MB)
> and would like to compress it or convert it to something more
> efficient.
>
> (It shows me sitting at the hammond organ and playing some Jazz,
> btw)
>
> So if anyone knows how to get that file smaller while keeping
> as much information as possible please contact me (in email)

The best codec to use is probably an mpeg one (although the sorenson
codec in QT3 seems nice). I don't know about solutions available for
FreeBSD, although possible Xing make a linux mpeg encoder which would
run under FreeBSD. The other alternatives for Windreck will cost you
- there don't seem to be decent free mpeg video encoders available.

I've got a Mpeg encoding subsystem (DVMPEG) for Windoze which I use
on our video edit suite - it'll do mpeg 1 and 2 when I export from
Adobe Premiere and does a very nice job. If you really can't find
anywhere burn it to a CD and stick it in the mail and I'll convert it
for you - at the moment our Net connection is too expensive to make
downloading it an option.

				-- C.
--
Craig Harding         Head of Postproduction, Outpost Digital Media Ltd
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly