Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:28:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        frank@exit.com
Cc:        crichard-freebsd@wso.williams.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, cg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster Live! 4.0 (Re: 4.1 date?)

As I recall, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> Well, I'm guessing that it's the card itself generating the NMIs
> because it wasn't initialized correctly by the driver.  Of course,
> Cameron should be the one to answer this, and so far I haven't seen
> him chime in.

Except most PC hardware has no trace on the buss for NMI; add in
cards can't generate it.

> ECC memory seems to be the common denominator; it may be that the card
> is doing Bad Things to the bus during memory accesses.  I don't know,
> I don't have specs for the card so I can't really make any kind of
> educated guess, but I certainly hope this helps Cameron figure it out.

That's the big hint.  NMIs are generated when error correcting (ECC)
or error detecting (parity) memory has an uncorrected error.

Does this card have on-board memory?  Or is it doing DMA transfers?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net