Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 20:36:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation, continued

> >I agree that the possible keys (ie, variable names) for symbolic
> >links should not be something that's fixed at system build time.
>
>    I sure don't agree with that. I also think Jordan's desire to have symlinks
> translated with the user environment is either not attainable or undesirable
> or both. I personally would rather that the info be kept in a seperate name
> table (like what Terry suggested). I also prefer to have a hierarchical
> structure (also like Terry suggested, except that I'd have the system table
> as a seperate autonomous thing and not attached to the init process).

Hmmm.

I think "#kern.osrelease" or "#hw.machine" might be a sufficient
escape mechanism.

The point was really the the init PID (or 0) be used to reference
an inherited system space.  It's not as important that it actually
be hung off a proc structure, it just makes it more orthoganal to
have one type of object backing the logical name table.

I'm easy on this one, etiher way...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---