Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 00:22:33 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        ticso@mail.cicely.de, oppermann@telehouse.ch, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 303,000 routes in kernel

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 10:23:39PM +0200, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> > > The router, a Foundry BigIron, is supposed to do gigabit routing at
> > > wirespeed, even with small packets. But who knows... ;-)
> >
> > Most big routers do softwarerouting and implement shortcuts in hardware.
> > Unfortunately DNS packets have a compareable small short cut hit rate.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by shortcut here. However, as far as I know
> most "big routers" do *not* use route caches, because it was found quite
> a while ago that these don't scale.

The routing "hardware" can't look into the full routing table because
todays routing tables are serveral megabytes big.
The hardware is definately getting some kind of most often used
records.  Yes hardware vendors don't call it route cache - but it's
similar in concept beside that typical route caches are software and
this "cache" is much faster hardware.

> There are plenty of "big routers" that can do line rate with minimum
> sized packets.

No doubt about it - but after all it's still avoidable load on the
router and lan.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de