Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:09:28 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "jonathan michaels" <jon@caamora.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Boot disk

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:30:30 +1100, jonathan michaels wrote:

>> (so you might get a "hey, buddy" in this informal environment). They
>> are not on your payroll,
>
>so being an a payroll is the price of courtesy, these days, is it ?

"hey, buddy" is not rude or ill-mannered, IMO. I think a poll would
show most people *wouldn't* be offended by that. And courtesy is a nice
gesture, but you have absolutely not right to expect it.

>> and you have absolutely no right to expect any help whatsoever.
>
>you got that one right, fella, but not for teh reasons you know.

Are you the official PR officer for FreeBSD??

>we all send posts to freebsd-questions in teh HOPE of getting a reply, we HOPE
>that it will timely, direct, responsible and COURTEOUS.
>
>some of teh less than polite responces of teh recent days have gon a long way
>to proving at least one person observation, in teh we are no better than linux
>crowd.

I can't speak for anyone else, and I don't represent freebsd.org.  I am
not trying to be *better* than the linux crowd.  I hope others use and
enjoy freebsd as much as I do, but in the end, I could give a hoot. I'm
not making any money from freebsd, my responses come from my leisure
time and I refuse to jump through hoops. I see lots of people sending
email to this list demanding help, as if someone *owes* it to them.
This software is free!

>> They have no vested financial interest (I can probably
>> count on two hands the number of people making money directly from
>> FreeBSD, and they're probably all employees of Walnut Creek, with the
>
>take a look at freebsd-isp .. all thier are making maney directly
>from freebsd, and some wannabes as well.

You missed my distinction between people who are officially related to
freebsd.org versus just volunteering...

>> are un-paid volunteers.
>
>so this is your excuse for poor manners, bad or at best in adequatly
>researched answers.

Like I said, "hey, buddy" is *not* bad manners, and if you wish to
consider it so, you are probably not going to get many responses from
Oleg (I'm guessing, I don't speak for him), and certainly not from me
(at least I won't cater to your definition of courteous).  And just how
much research do you expect people to put in for free, to prevent you
from RTFM.  Some people get all bent out of shape when they see RTFM.
Quite frankly, if it's documented, the rest of us can expect you to
read it. Otherwise, why create the docs, if few people are going to
read them.

>to draw a bow from my own experiece .. i've been in computer related tech
>support fro as long as some of teh responder (in thes parts) have been alive.
>i know how easy it is to have a bad day and to take it out on teh client. one
>momentry slip will destroy years of goodwill.

There *not* clients. You, like many others, can't seem to seperate the
concept of free products from paid-for products.  To not make newbies
aware that the support they receive is from volunteers, undermines the
project, because they never come to terms with the actual agreement
between the organization and themselves. Goodwill is important and your
point is well taken that anyone can hurt freebsd's reputation, but
that's also the price of admission to free software. The organization
is reaping benefits from volunteers and should, IMO, be cautious about
reprimanding those volunteers.

>we are in danger of this kind of rot creaping into freebsd. we all need to
>quard against the 'quick answer', the 'easy answer', these are all teh
>hallmark of one who has little skill in teh subject. if one is going to answer
>a post it take little effort to research, with care, the answer. most of teh
>time all it takes is the ability to read. a, the question being asked. b the
>reasonably good freebsd documantation and c, teh ancilliary documents
>available around the place.

If I were being paid to support freebsd, I'd agree whole-heartedly. I
do try to make my answers as accurate as possible, but I'm not willing
to spend weeks researching an answer. I either ignore the question
(only to hear them whine that no one answered their question, or I give
what info I do have and add the disclaimer that someone else may have a
better answer, or "I think, I believe", indicating they need to verify
the accuracy themselves. I've also seen people post questions, I spent
time to research, only to have them post an answer that isn't at all
related to their original, poorly formed question.

>volunteerism is no reason for sloppy manners or ill-courteous behavior. just
>because its free dosen't mean we can be free with our responsibilites.

You still don't get it.  I have absolutely NO responsibility. No one on
this list does.  You could talk someone into accepting money to accept
such responsibility, though.

>> Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.

>neithier is their a place for this kind of childish, rude and boorish
>behaviour.

Nor is *there* a place for such illiterate statements.  Please run your
comments through a grammar checker. You entire post was filled with so
many misspellings and incorrect words, it was difficult to read. And
you called me "fella", yet you take issue with "hey, buddy"??

You go on and on about *rules* you want people to follow, yet your post
is full of errors, and that even without getting into a technical area.
 How precise would answers from you be?

Steve Friedrich
Viva la FreeBSD!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.