Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:20:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      chuckr@glue.umd.edu
To:        smp@csn.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

On 17 Nov, Steve Passe wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> So here's my vote for the benchmark standard:
>>
>> /usr/src and /usr/obj on one disk with !async
>
> we might need 2 classes, here, single disk, mounted sync, and dual disks,
> /usr/src mounted noatime, /usr/obj mounted async, noatime.
>
> ---
>> CFLAGS=-O -pipe
>> make cleandir && make world
>
> I *really* would like to see the target be "make buildworld".  The
> "make install" portion doesn't have much to do with the variabilities of the
> overall times, and I don't want to do six make worlds (ie make installs)
> in a row on my development systems.  "make buildworld" is safe, even when
> we have major breakage in the source tree, but obviously "make install" isn't!

I agree it should be limited to make buildworld.  The mounting type
(sync or async) is controllable easily by the local site, so I think we
should specify that too.  I'd be in favor of sync, but I'd be willing
to be talked into async.  The position of the obj file (whether on a
separate drive from the sources) isn't easily controllable, and the
lucky ones who have the option shouldn't be penalized by being unable to
report results, so I would require that information be part of the
results, but not constrained to be one way or another.

> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |