Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:44:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@caspian.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org, gibbs@freebsd.org, anderson@cs.duke.edu
Subject:   Re: data corruption when using aic7890

Justin T. Gibbs writes:

 > >Hi,
 > >
 > >I have a bunch of ASUS P2B-LS motherboards with on-board AIC7890 U2
 > >controllers.   I'm running a kernel with rev 1.20 of
 > >src/sys/pci/ahc_pci.c (eg, after the CACHETHEN fix).
 >
 > Can you see if this has any effect on your problem?  This is the setting
 > left over from the BIOS on my systems here.  I would expect the best
 > performance to be a setting of RD_DFTHRSH_MIN|WR_DFTHRSH_100 but lets
 > try this first.

This does seem to have an effect, so you might have the right knob to
twiddle!

Unfortunately, the change seems to make things even worse.  The
errors are occurring much more freqently now.  Also, the errors are
occuring later in the page.  Where as before, the errors would almost
always occur in the first 500 bytes of the page, now they're occuring
near the end of the page (some around 2500 bytes, most near 3900).

I'm as a wild stab in the dark, I'm trying
RD_DFTHRSH_MAX|WR_DFTHRSH_MIN right now.

Thanks!!

Drew