Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:40:36 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb v1.1 external 2.0" hard disk problems with FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:59:46PM -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE. I just bought a generic
> USB 1.1/2.0/firewire external drive enclosure for my 32gb
> Travelstar 12.5mm hard drive.

I began hacking a uata (USB->ATA) bridge driver with sos's help today.

It might help you. Some of the cheaper enclosures use USB->ATA bridge
chips which aren't handled by the standard umass driver.

Before anyone asks, these are evil, and don't talk SCSI/UFI/etc, they
talk ATA task file register over USB, so branching off ata is more
appropriate; I should be able to leverage most of the existing ATAng
code base for this.

BMS