Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 2021 11:42:04 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Cc:        manu@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cpufreq driver stopped working on RPI4

Following up on my previous post (below): I tried the ALPHA1 kernel on
a BETA3 system on the RPI4, and it fails to attach the cpufreq driver
as well.  So it appears that the problem is in the dtb, etc, not the
kernel.

It would be nice to get this fixed before the 13.0 release.  Without
the cpufreq driver, the CPU is stuck at a low clock rate.

		Mike

> To: freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
> From: Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
> Subject: cpufreq driver stopped working on RPI4
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:43:27 -0600

> I upgraded an older (original) RPI4, 4 GB, to 13.0-BETA3, and merged my
> previous rc.conf including powerd.  Powerd fails to start now, saying
> that there is no cpufreq(4) support.  Sure enough, dmesg has the followi=
ng
> relevant lines:

>     bcm2835_cpufreq0: <CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
>     bcm2835_cpufreq0: Unable to find firmware device
>     device_attach: bcm2835_cpufreq0 attach returned 6
>     armv8crypto0: CPU lacks AES instructionsbcm2835_cpufreq0: <CPU Frequ=
ency Control> on cpu0
>     bcm2835_cpufreq0: Unable to find firmware device
>     device_attach: bcm2835_cpufreq0 attach returned 6

> (Yes, armv8crypto is missing a newline.)

> I checked the most recent system I had on the shelf, which was 13.0-ALPH=
A1.