Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:20:19 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        mturpin@shadow.spel.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network adapters: Technical issues

>However, I am still trying to decide what to put in the servers. In the
>various catalogs I've searched, I see two adapters that use the Intel
>chips, which are reputed to have low overhead. However, nothing adequately
>describes the technical differences between them. I see an "Intel
>EtherExpress Pro/100+ PCI" adapter (consistently the most aggressively
>priced), an "Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 T4 PCI" card for about twice as
>much, and an "Intel Pro/100+ Server Adapter" priced somewhere in between.
>What are the differences between these models? (I understand that DG wrote
>the drivers for these.... David, can you offer some input?)

   I have zero time right now, but quickly: the Pro/100+ server adapter is
not supported and probably never will be. I assume that the "T4" board is
something that has a 100Base-T4 interface, which is incompatible with
100Base-TX; I don't know what chip it uses, but you probably don't want it
in any case. Bottom line: only the cheap adapter is supported and it works
better than anything else currently supported by FreeBSD.

-DG

David Greenman