Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:19:35 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Joe Bo <ibjoe@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is this an attack?

Joe Bo wrote:

> Hi. I'm running FreeBSD v3.2. I have rc.firewall set
> for "open" and in inetd.conf everything is commented out
> except ftp, telnet, shell, login, comsat and ntalk. I
> installed the tcpwrappers port but never configured it.

I'd suggest you close telnet, shell, and login NOW and start using
ssh. They almost certainly have nothing to do with the "attack" below,
but it's just a good idea to use ssh rather than telnet/rsh/rlogin
anyway.

I'll let someone more experienced than I diagnose the real problem you
had though. :-)

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and