Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:50:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@packetdesign.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   mbuf leak? fxp?

I have this machine that starts running out of mbufs every few days
("looutput: mbuf allocation failed") and then crashes, and was wondering
if anyone else has seen similar behavior...

For example...

    Yesterday...
	    $ netstat -m
	    461/624/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
		    459 mbufs allocated to data
		    2 mbufs allocated to packet headers
	    434/490/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
	    1136 Kbytes allocated to network (36% of mb_map in use)
	    0 requests for memory denied
	    0 requests for memory delayed
	    0 calls to protocol drain routines

    Today...
	    $ netstat -m
	    947/1072/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
		    945 mbufs allocated to data
		    2 mbufs allocated to packet headers
	    920/946/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
	    2160 Kbytes allocated to network (70% of mb_map in use)
	    0 requests for memory denied
	    0 requests for memory delayed
	    0 calls to protocol drain routines

It appears that something is slowly eating up mbuf clusters.
The machine is on a network with continuous but very low volume
traffic, including some random multicast, NTP, etc. The machine
itself is doing hardly anything at all.

(Possibly) relevant information:

  - FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
  - Ethernet driver is fxp(4)
  - Using ipfw(4) and divert(4)
  - mysql is running, which uses a UNIX domain socket

(Possibly) relevant clue:

  - We have other machines configured almost identically but which
    are not using the fxp(4) driver (and which are handling lots more
    traffic) that don't show this problem.

Any ideas?? I wonder if there's some obscure error condition in the
fxp(4) driver that has a memory leak.

-Archie