Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:28:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jin@george.lbl.gov
Cc:        mark@quickweb.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de
Subject:   Re: Memory speed of P6-200 (256k)

 * > Hmm, how come my new P6NP5 with P6-200 and 96MB RAM (parity mode) can
 * > give me only about:
 * >
 * > >> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1m count=1000
 * > 1000+0 records in
 * > 1000+0 records out
 * > 1048576000 bytes transferred in 18.359226 secs (57114390 bytes/sec)

 * Do not waste time to play this game. The "dd" is O.S. dependent code.

Sorry I didn't write the OS version; I am running 3.0 from just before
the Lite/2 merge.

 * It does not give you what is real memory speed on your system. The result
 * from dd is really depended on the O.S. you are running. If you run 2.2 or
 * higher, you will get much better performance than 2.1.x.

Well I wouldn't ask the list if it's just dd but I've run several
memory tests of my own and this machine always comes out looking very
bad compared to the P5-133 (Triton-II) it replaced.  It's always about
half, unless the whole thing fits in the 512K L2 cache (in which case
it smokes).

 * 440FX does have worse memory speed than Triton-{I,II}; even though P6 has
 * much better CPU speed, but the PCI controller (440FX) is worse.

I know that.  But there are some people seeing 80MB/s or more and some
(including myself) who only get about 60MB/s on an apparently
identical chipset.

Satoshi