Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:59:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za (Reinier Bezuidenhout)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burning CDs

> > 1) How to burn an Audio CD ?
>
> Hi ... I used a port called cd-write to copy the audio tracks
> from a audio cd, to see if I could write them back again ...

No, it wasn't the problem of getting them from the CD. I use tosha to get
them. But I don't know how to write them...

> Maybe someone could answer this ... can I use dd to dump an entire
> cd (/dev/worm0) to a file and then just use dump it back again or
> use the burn shell script .. mmhhmm probably not .... because then
> it will be only one track :/

Yeah, 74 minutes music in one track sounds bad...:-(

> > 2) How to burn a Mixed-Mode CD ?
>
> Not sure ... haven't done this .. YET ... (making some more Frisbees :) )

I use the crunched ones for saving my table: I put my glass onto it...
(I don't know the english word. In german it would be "Untersetzer" or
"Bierdeckel")

> > 3) How to burn a Multisession-CD ?
>
> This I got working ... using the following programs ...
>
> (This is all done on a 3.0-SNAP)

Too bad, I have only 2.2.1 at the moment. :-(

> package - mkisofs-1.10.tgz (it has multisession support)
> cdrecord-1.5a4 (there might be another coice for this ... I only use it
>                 to get the correct info for mkisofs)

Maybe they're also working with 2.2.1 ?

> A modified makecdfs.sh - multicdfs.sh (included below)
> A modified burncd.sh
>
> Basically the first image is created using the standard makecdfs.sh

The question is: I made the CD yesterday with the old mkisofs. Will it work
to add a session with the newer one ?

> Then I use cdrecord to get the correct info for mkisofs for the next
> session (if there is another way, let me know :) )
> The readme files in cdrecord also describes this process well ..
> e.g.
>
> # ./cdrecord -msinfo -dev=0,6,0
> 12765, 23456                      <--- output generated
>
> You then create your next file system .. preferably in a separete
> directory :) .. e.g.  session1/dir1 and session2/dir2 and then
> do a
>
> # sh muticdfs.sh session2 ses2.img 12765 23456

Seems to be very easy.

> This will then greate a multi session image to write to the CD
> using burncd.sh
>
> # sh burncd.sh ses2.img onp
>
> The onp is optional ... if you don't want to write any more sesions,
> just don't add it to the command
>
> One thing that just bothers me a bit, has to do with the long file
> names ... the root on the cd, after the first session could already
> have a Rock ridge translation file on it ... ?? You will see that
> I have opted to leave out the -T option on mkisofs ... because
> I don't know what will happen if there is more than one file
> with the same name trying to be written to the root of the CD ??

I wrote the first CD with -T. I'd like to write it without -N but mkisofs
gave me no chance...:-(
By omitting -N would answer your questions. In this case they would be numbered
and the newest one is the one with the higher index.

> Anyone with any ideas on this ?
>
> Anyway .. I have written a CD with a few sessions on it and was
> able to retrieve the data again :) after it has been mounted, so
> it seems to work :)

Cool ! Thanx !!!

Bye,
	Udo