Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:38:09 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Proposal on shared libs version values.

I like this idea better than 501 and 5.1 formats.  If we have to have
libc.so.5 for the release, then this gives us name space that we can
use (libc.so.5.1 could be used if we *HAD* to bump the major version
in the RELENG_5 branch).  libc.so.5.1 looks a lot different than
libc.so.5.20013013, for example.  Of course, I'd really rather not see
5.1 in a release if we can avoid it, but using the date as David
suggests gives us this option if we need to use it.

In message <3A89A313.4E5B6865@newsguy.com> "Daniel C. Sobral" writes:
: Keep the date in ISO format (yyyy-mm-dd), otherwise 5-14-Feb-2001 would
: get priority over 5-13-Mar-20001. (Unless I skipped this discussion too
: much, but the point still kind of stands.)

I'd use YYYYMMDD.  Short, simple to the point, no locales to worry
about.  We use it other places in the tree (UPDATING) as well as it
being a subset of the widespread YYYYMMDDCC format for named serial
numbers so it is well understood by many of the folks that might be
running current.  It also has the "nice" properties of being
monitonically increasing and easy to parse.

However, like Peter pointed out earlier today, it just doesn't matter
at all what the date we use is.  It only matters to humans reading ls
listings :-).

Warner