Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 18:18:01 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-plus.net>
To:        "Aaron Sonntag" <aaron@sonntag.org>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Shell shocked / a shell for every season?

For us, every account has email and a home directory (actually, mail is
delivered to $HOME/.mail for every user).  Everyone's shell is set to
/sbin/nologin by default.  We enable regular shell access on a case-by-case
basis.

Dialup users are assigned to a group called 'dialup', non dialup are
assigned to group 'email.'  Radius rejects dialup access to people in the
'email' group.

For FTP, we use ncftpd, which restricts users in those groups to their home
directories.  If you want to limit FTP, you can do so by group (email only
accounts don't have ftp access on our network).  I believe you might be able
to do it by giving users a shell not listed in /etc/shells (assuming that
your FTP server looks for a valid shell, which I believe ncftpd does).

I'm not sure how you would restrict people from using mail, or if you'd even
want to.  Most ISPs make use of email to make announcements to their users.

With proper use of gid assignments and system configuration, you can have a
very flexable set of services:

dialup = dialup, email, ftp
mlppp = 2 channel dialup, email, ftp
email = email only
ftp = email and ftp
ftponly = ftp only (might require some hackery to prevent mail)

You can create any number of groups, and use each to control access to the
combination of services you want.

Hell, now that I think about it, you're supposed to be able to use the class
field in the passwd file to limit things as well.

HTH,

Troy