Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:57:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        keith@apcs.com.au
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I stop vi beeping!

We had this problem when we first brought the Cray in 1988. Later, we
had HP 9000/700x x-terms hooked up to it. I have been trying to
remember what we did to minimize the problem but it has been too long.

There were a couple of things that I remember. One was notabs with
stty. I think that just stopped the wierd flashing when you moved over
a tab. The bell was something that I think was caused by things such
as the repeat key on a teminal over driving the host computer. It
didn't matter if it was running x or what. The end result was a
mangled multi-byte, combo-key and a bell or something else strange was
the result. I keep having "B"'s and etc. pop up along with a bell when
I use the cursor's instead of hjkl. This is a mismatch on the terminal
types. I figure it is a re-training session for my fingers.

Kent

Keith wrote:

> Hi Mark
>
> I have fixed it !
>
> unpluged the speaker
>
> Keith
>
> On 27-Apr-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > How do you stop vi from !@*?!$* beeping on errors when running in
> > an xterm?
> >
> > I'm running olvwm and have ``OpenWindows.Beep: never'' in ~/.Xdefaults,
> > ``set nobeep'' in .cshrc, and ``noerrorbells'' is set in vi, yet
> > it still beeps on errors.
> >
> > I hate computers beeping at me!
> >
> > It doesn't beep if running in the console, or in shelltool, only
> > in an xterm.
> >
> > --
> >       FreeBSD - The Power To Serve http://www.freebsd.org
> >       My Webpage http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~markov
>
> "The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed FreeBSD."
>
> **  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
> **  You can download FreeBSD with it!
>
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: Keith <keith@apcs.com.au>
> Australia Power Control Systems Pty. Limited.
> Date: 28-Apr-99
> Time: 10:38:27
> Satelite Service 64K to 2Meg
> This message was sent by XFMail

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html