Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 23:47:48 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/27563: postfix-current is broken

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 03:10:46PM -0500, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > >  I just did a grep thru the strings returned from the libsasl.a library
> and
> > >  it returned the MySQL & LDAP functions that it is using.  Theses
> functions
> > >  will not occur in a SASL library that hasn't been compiled with support
> for
> > >  MySQL and/or LDAP. So a check for MySQL and/or LDAP would need:
> > >
> > >      strings PREFIX/lib/libsasl.a | grep mysql_verify_password
> > >      strings PREFIX/lib/libsasl.a | grep ldap_verify_password
> >
> > Just a minor comment: this would be better done with nm(1) or objdump(1),
> > not strings(1).  nm(1)'s -u option seems especially relevant.
> >
> > Still, I think it would be better to leave this to the user - let them
> > define WITH_MYSQL or WITH_LDAP or whatever is appropriate.  If those
> > defines are the same that are used in the dependent ports (in this case,
> > SASL), you get the added benefit that a build on a clean machine would
> > keep those in the environment when building the dependent ports, and
> > provide a one-step full build.
> >
> > I hope this last sentence did not come out too unclear - all I meant was,
> > if SASL is not installed, and you do a make -DWITH_MYSQL in the Postfix
> > port directory, the automagically-invoked 'make' for the SASL port
> inherits
> > this WITH_MYSQL and DTRT.  In this scenario, even if Postfix does not
> honor
> > the WITH_MYSQL flag, you would have to define it anyway for the build
> > of the dependent port, so it makes no sense for the Postfix port to use
> > a different, additional, non-standard,
> not-really-certain-to-be-error-proof
> > mechanism to detect the need for -lmysqlclient and such.
>
> It is a little more complex than that.  We need to see how sasl is compiled
> because however it is compiled, postfix must be compiled or it will not
> work.  SASL defaults to using mysql while postfix doesn't, so by default
> they are incompatible.  On the other side of the sword, postfix can use
> mysql for 2 different things along with ldap, ie postfix has some things of
> its own that it can use mysql for without sasl.  but the bottom line is if
> you compile sasl with krb or mysql, postfix won't compile without them
> either.  Maybe I partly didn't understand what you were saying, let me know
> if that's the case.

Yes, you did understand what I was saying, or at least you did, if what
you think I was saying is 'leave it to the user to give the proper config
options/defines'.  This is precisely what I mean, and what I still think,
even as you're saying that the options are critical.  Give the user
a prominent warning in a pre-everything or pre-configure or something
stage, or in the configuration dialog if there is one, and then don't
blame yourself for their lack of basic reading comprehension skills :)

Sure, this could be viewed as 'give them enough rope to hang themselves',
but, well, I really don't see how this could be done in a more elegant way
(and I do consider running nm(1) on libraries a less than elegant solution).

G'luck,
Peter

--
What would this sentence be like if pi were 3?