Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:46:27 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Clang - what is the story?

Da Rock writes:

>  The only reason I can see from searching is a need to get away
>  from gcc (which is tried and tested since the beginning of time)
>  which is now apparently GPLv3.

	I believe the GPLv3 issue is correct.
	Two other reasons I have heard mentioned in various
discussions:
	1) clang has better diagnostics, both for users and compiler
developers/
	2) over the years, "extensions" have crept into GCC.  Many
were/are there for a reason; many can be ignored or turned off.
However, doing so breaks various programs (either when building or
running),  "Why?" is above my pay grade.
	_As I understand it_, clang has few such extensions and those
it does have are less necessary.

					Robert Huff