Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:37:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        petrilli@amber.org (Christopher Petrilli)
Cc:        mestery@winternet.com, peters@gil.com.au, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A how does it work question.

> In the end, I would think that software would be the conjstriction point
> (in fact seperate memory makes it an MPP system, not an AMP/SMP system).
> This is the concept behind ccNUMA, etc...
>
> Because of the nature of the FreeBSD kernel (and I suppose the probably
> applies to Linux, but don't know), all I/O is threaded thru the #0 CPU,
> and thereby it becomes a HUGE bottleneck.

This is false.  An interrupt may be handled by either CPU.  The
machine operates in Symmetric I/O or "virtual wire" mode (see the
Intel Multiprocessing Specification, version 1.4).

> Am I correct?  This was what I was taught was the definition of a AMP
> system, was that a single CPU controlled all I/O on the system, which is
> why you have to go SMP to scale to X, and MPP to keep going from there.

I agree with your definition of assymetry.

However, in FreeBSD, each CPU is a worker, and all system tasks other
than boot are simply "work to do".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---