Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:53:03 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACPI timer is screwed... (was Re: 'microuptime() went backwards ...' using ACPI timer. Shouldn't that be impossible? )

> >:I would like to see "the PIIX problem" caught on camera, personally.
> >:We're aware of one errata for it already, and we work around it.  If
> >:there's another problem, or ideally if someone has some relatively quick
> >:code to test it, that would be much better.
> >
> >    Holy shit.  We are screwed.  It's a free-running counter with NO
> >    synchronization whatsoever.  None.  Zip.  Zero.
>
> Yes, there is an errata for just that on early chipsets.
>
> Does the ..._slow patch I sent work for you ?

Matt's problem (look-ahead carry) will break the three-read algorithm
because it can generate a sequence of three reads that appear to be in
succession, but which are all wrong.

We need three different algorithms; "works", "ripple" and "look-ahead".
Of those, "works" should be based exclusively off a list of known-good
chipsets, "look-ahead" seems to be easily enough detected (but we should
probably have a blacklist anyway) and "ripple" is hard to detect and
should be the default case.

I really, really hate hardware.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not