Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 19:15:55 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter

Thus spake Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>:
> At 04:25 PM 1/4/2003, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> >GCC 3.2.1 seems to perform around as well, on my code, as Intel's
> >compiler.
>
> Depends on your code. A program consisting mostly of function calls
> isn't going to be much of a challenge for any compiler. But try some
> serious nested loops, or floating point, and GCC generates about the
> most naive code you could imagine. You could do better dashing it off
> in assembly language.

My own experience has been that recent versions of GCC 2 botch
floating point horribly.  Any time the compiler encounters code
containing floating point, it starts managing the stack and
registers poorly, it doesn't find loop invariants anymore, and
other optimiztions go out the window.  However, GCC 3 fixes all of
these problems in the examples I have tried, so evidently the
developers did something right.