Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:11:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indicating patch levels

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> I suggested this about 4 months ago, to no replies whatsoever (but I'm
> quite used to that).

It's often hard to get people to commit to the difficult discussions :-)

> | I'd suggest we try:
> |
> | packagename-version[_revision][:epoch] to remain basically backwards
> | compatible, and gain the same playing parameters of possibly the
> | leading package management collection.

This sounds fine to me..the epoch field would be rarely used, but it's
essential for those ports that require it. We'd have to teach things like
pkg_version about it or it wouldn't affect the numerical comparison, but
that's easy enough.

Kris