Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2020 19:15:01 +0100
From:      Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

wrote:

>> With svn I used:
>>        svn switch svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/NEW /usr/src
>>=20
>> For git I found:
>>        git branch -m stable/OLD stable/NEW
>>        or
>>        git branch -M stable/OLD stable/NEW
>=20
> I think the answer is a simple "git checkout NEW". This will replace =
the
> current tree at branch OLD with the contents of branch NEW.

Thanks to all of you pointing me away from renaming a branch instead of =
simply checking out the branch of interest.

> git branch -m is different and changes what the branch means. If you =
did
> what you suggested then you'd be renaming the OLD brnach to NEW, which
> isn't what I think you're asking about.

No, I will not apply anything before having it understood. In this case =
I looked into git-branch(1) because I believed this the command to be. =
Haven't found git-checkout(1) :-( Sorry for the noise.

Now, stable/13 may come, I am ready to switch ;-)

Thanks again and regards,
Michael=