Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:05:11 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   get <dir>.tar doesn't always work

A reader of my website sent me a message regarding the mirror sites.  They told
me that not all of the FreeBSD sites permit a client to grab a tarball of a
directory.  For example, if you wanted the floppies directory for 3.1-STABLE,
you could do the following:

cd /pub/FreeBSD/3.1-STABLE
get floppies.tar

This will work on ftp.freebsd.org but not on ftp5.FreeBSD.org.  The latter gives
the error:

ftp> get floppies.tar
227 Entering Passive Mode (18,24,10,20,237,119)
550 floppies.tar: No such file or directory.
ftp>

I assume this is feature a characteristic of the ftp server.  Has anyone seen
a list which indicates which ftp servers support this feature?
Dan LangilleThe FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd
The Racing System     - http://www.racingsystem.com/racingsystem.htm
NZ FreeBSD User Group - http://www.nzfug.nz.freebsd.org