Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:20:45 -0800
From:      Randy Bunchun Lim <rblim@aht.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rblim@aht.com
Subject:   attach OKIDATA office44 to FreeBSD on PC?

Hi,

 I tried to send print jobs to OKIDATA office44 through parallel port
but only to fail. Later on I figured out that this printer was a
 multifunction machine(supporting fax, scanning, and printing) so I
could NOT send print jobs to printer using lpr to parallel port
directly. There is a MFPI(Multi Function Peripheral Interface) driver
between the  Host and the MFP. Also the MFPI driver communicate to MFP
using  Bi-Centro I/F. But the current MFPI driver only support Window
95. There  was NO Unix MFPI driver so far. I plan to implement MFPI
driver on FreeBSD. And I need the following helps:

1, How did  MFPI driver read/write the parallel port before lpr can
start the burst data transfer?

2, where can I find more information about parallel port driver?

 Also I would like to ask if anybody had any experiences before to
attach such printers to FreeBSD?

 Your quick response will be appreiated

 /Randy