Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 00:13:34 -0400
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: java under emulation!

So I installed the alphalinux Lesstif rpm, but upon trying to run an applet
making use of awt with JDK-1.1.3, I was given a signal 11 and a long stream
of java errors.  So I switched to JDK-1.2.6, the latest one ported to alpha-
linux.  It ran my text-only "hello world" program just fine.  Upon trying to
run an applet making use of awt, it printed a bunch of font-not-found warnings
(which apparently is a known problem, even on i386) then just sat there.
There was no SEGV, which was good, but it didn't do anything either.
Looking at what was going on with ktrace, we find at the end...

 13479 appletviewer CALL  read(0x7,0x11ff68c8,0x20)
 13479 appletviewer RET   read -1 errno 35 Resource temporarily unavailable
 13479 appletviewer CALL  select(0x8,0x11ff6778,0,0,0x11ff6698)
 13479 appletviewer RET   select 0
 13479 appletviewer CALL  [364](0,0x11ff6318)
 13479 appletviewer RET   [364] 0
 13479 appletviewer CALL  old.sigprocmask(0x1,0)
 13479 appletviewer RET   old.sigprocmask 0
 13479 appletviewer CALL  old.sigsuspend(0)

...and that's where it sits forever.  File descriptor 0x7 is a unix domain
socket.  Not sure why it just suspends forever.  Maybe it's waiting for a
thread to wake up that never does?  I'd be curious to hear if anyone has tried
to get Java working in alphalinux emulation.  It'd be real nice if we could
get it working!

Cheers,
-Mark