Date:      04 Mar 2003 10:08:47 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
Cc:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soundblaster live(!) and -stable

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 00:02, David Syphers wrote:
> > Any ideas?  It seems odd that I'm getting that second line on boot.

The second line is the AC97 codec attached to the SB Live.

> pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0x1840-0x185f irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
> pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9708/11 AC97 Codec>
>
> in my dmesg for a SoundBlaster Live 5.1, and my sound works fine (okay, I'm
> using -current, but it worked fine on -stable too). The question marks with
> your AC97 might indicate a recognition problem, but I don't know...
>
> Does 'cat /dev/sndstat' show an installed sound card?

If it shows up in dmesg it will almost certainly be available for use.

There was a commit recently about no sound for the SB Live in 5.x, but I
don't know if that applies.

Also, as you say the question marks may indicate untested or poorly
tested code.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5