Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:52:29 +0200
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD AP (with ath) transmit regulatory domain? Should it?

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 15:45, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hello, Freebsd-wireless.
>
> =A0I =A0have =A0ath (9220) based AP (running FreeBSD 10-CURRENT). I live =
in
> =A0country =A0"RU" =A0where channels 1-13 are allowed for 2.4Ghz (8021.11=
ng)
> =A0WiFi. =A0AP =A0could =A0be =A0configured for channel 13, but my "main"=
 client
> =A0doesn't =A0see =A0it.
>
> =A0Client is equipped with Intel=AE PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card and run
> =A0Windows.
>
> =A0Here is Intel KB article[1], which says, that card doesn't have
> regulatory domain setting, but scans all channels, and selects
> regdomain from AP. But it doesn't! It sees AP on channels 1-11 but not
> on 12 or 13.
>
> =A0Is it FreeBSD AP problem or client problem?
>
> [1] - http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006064.htm

The Intel cards ship with a hard coded list of channels burned into
there EEPROM, if channels aren't in there they aren't support. You can
get all supported channels for a certain interface with:
ifconfig -v wlan0 list chan
Compare that list on AP and client side.

Just wondering, did you set a countrycode/regdomain via ifconfig
country or ifconfig regdomain? I remember that there are some issues
and you might actually end getting less channels then there are
actually supposed to be.

--=20
Bernhard