Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:09:49 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Joe Love <joe@getsomewhere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux(64)-compat and ipv6 setsockopt

Hi,

> On 2 Mar 2016, at 23:27, Joe Love <joe@getsomewhere.net> wrote:
>=20
> [=E2=80=A6]It seems that a piece of code related to setting a =
particular socket option for IPv6 sockets fails under the linux compat =
layer:
>=20
> int ipv6only =3D 1;
> setsockopt(this->fd6, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_V6ONLY, &ipv6only, =
sizeof(ipv6only));
>=20
> Both Steamcmd and Factorio would spit out error messages like this =
(this one being from Factorio):
> 1.132 Error MultiplayerManager.cpp:108: MultiplayerManager failed: =
"Setsockopt failed: Protocol not available=E2=80=9D [etc]

This is most likely related to the fact that linux has IP4-mapped =
addressing turned on by default, ie IPv4 connexions appear at the socket =
as IPv6 with v4 addresses mapped into the designated IPv6 address range =
(prefix ::ffff:0:0/96). FreeBSD has this turned off by default (sysctl =
net.inet6.ip6.v6only =3D 1), ie you have to set up separate sockets for =
v4 and v6.

The above socket option is trying to do the same thing, ie turn off =
mapping so that the socket is strictly IPv6 only, and either (a) isn=E2=80=
=99t implemented in the linuxulator, or (b) fails because mapping is =
already turned off.

Running on FreeBSD it may be safe to comment out the setsockopt(). I =
have never tried the alternative of setting sysctl net.inet6.ip6.v6only =
to 0 because that could break almost anything.

--
Bob Bishop
rb@gid.co.uk