Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:44:24 -0500
From:      Andre Chang <andre@arkaine.com>
To:        "'Rodney W. Grimes'" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, oogali@intranova.net
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: New Firewall

Well I checked up on the remote machines and they are mostly just SMTP relay
hosts for different domains, nothing special.

I am dropping all ICMP types other than 0,3,8 and 11 on that machine.

Considering that I am leaving ping and traceroute open, the machine are just
secondary mail server in case the primary mail server is unreachable. It's
primary role is DNS. It remains to be my own decision if I want the machine
to respond to ICMP type 3.4

I'd rather the machine unable to fulfill it's secondary tasks for some sites
than opening it up to possible DoS which would affect it's primary task.

 -- Andre.