Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:51:27 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Breaking up make.conf

In message <20010308020838.A67276@mollari.cthul.hu> Kris Kennaway writes:
: Moving port config options to a ports.conf is trivial, since all ports
: include ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk, so the .include can be done there.

Yea.  ports are easy :-).

: Moving world config options to a world.conf is a bit more tricky,
: because we need a way to tell whether we're building in src/ (and not
: just using 'make world').  The only way I can think to do this is to
: have everything include ../Makefile.inc back up to the root of the
: tree, which sets a BUILDING_WORLD variable that is used (in bsd.obj.mk
: and possibly other makefiles) to control the inclusion of
: /etc/world.conf and /etc/defaults/world.conf.  It's a bit messy, but I
: can't seem to see any better way.

Maybe there's a better way.  See my other email on the topic.  I don't
think that Makefile.inc is going to be a good way to do this.

: What do people think of the approach?  Is there any easier way I'm
: missing?  Is world.conf even desirable?

I think we should stop thinking of building the world as a special
case.  It should be part of a more general case.  See my other mail
for the patches that I'd like to see.

Warner