Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:48:14 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: putting FreeBSD in an extended partition

Zhiui Zhang wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > If that were possible, it would be trivial to improve the loader to deal
> > with that case.  The kernel most certainly can mount an extended partition
> > as root, however.
>
> I know this is a minor subject.  But Why Linux can be put in an extended
> partition while FreeBSD cannot? I can not find anywhere (e.g.
> kern/subr_diskslice.c) in the kernel that prevents this and I know LILO
> can boot FreeBSD. If it is the problem of booteasy, then we can use other
> boot loader.

The standard bootblocks (ie. boot2) don't support this at present,
nor do our tools like fdisk(8) and the equivalent part of sysinstall;
so there's a reasonable amount of work needed to make booting from
extended partitions a properly-supported feature.  I'll most likely
be adding this support in the next few months, though.  It hasn't
been a priority item as there's been little interest till recently.

It should be fairly easy to hack boot2 to get this working in your
particular case, if you have the time and inclination.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com
rnordier@FreeBSD.org