Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 16:36:37 +0200 (MSZ)
From:      me@dude.pcs.dec.com ( Michael Elbel )
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        me@FreeBSD.org, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/scsi sd.c

> > Hrrm, both of my FreeBSD disks use the whole drive starting at sector 0,
> > there aren't any slices on them. The slice changes don't allow me to mount
> > them any more. Is this on purpose, I.e. do I *have* to fdisk my disks
> > or is the code supposed to work with FreeBSD covering the whole disk?
>
> Yes, you have to slice them, the good news is that you don't loose any
> disk-space doing so :-)

Erm, how's that? Originally the while disk was used for partitions,
now there's 32 sectors less (standard 64/32 translation). Or am I missing
something obvious besides the possibility that there were 32 spare sectors
in the last cylinder.

Nevertheless, I can't get my 2 Gig Quantum Empire to be accepted by
the new kernel. The new code seems to insist on checking the
sector start and size information against the C/H/S begin and end
information.

I finally managed to fdisk it in a way that the slice code accepts the start
after remembering that track sectors are starting at 1 instead of 0.
However, I haven't found a way to make it happy about the end yet.
I simply can't have the slice end beyond cylinder 1023 - I guess this
is the usual bios limit, right?

So, how am I supposed to get my disk to be recognized fully? I don't
want to lose that Gig ;-)

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org