Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 07:33:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Ty Hoeffer <pth3k@virginia.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wish to setup a FreeBSD Mirror site.

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Ty Hoeffer wrote:

> 	Hi,
> 	I am interedted in setting up a Mirror site. I have my server on a
> 100Mbps link on our OC12 backbone connected to a 155 MB ATM link direct
> to UVa's SprintNet connection. I have FreeBsd 4.2 running on a server
> with 75 GB of space, 640MB Ram on an Intel 800Mhz PIII. It is currently
> a webserver, serving ~10 sites.
>
> 	I have allocated a ~25GB partition for a CVS Server. Is this enough?
> Are you interested?
>
> 	Is there any documentation available on how to set everything up. Do
> you require Anonymous FTP, as well as CVS?

Hi Ty,

I'm not sure what mirroring documentation is currently available - someone else
might be able to post links.

In terms of what you are making available, there is a mirror site already in
virginia at raven.cslab.vt.edu.  You should look at syncing from them if it
makes network sense.

You will want to think about whether you are making your archive available
as a public or private resource.  If public, whether you want to make it an
official mirror which will require you to carry more than the CVS tree.

My recommendation at the moment if you want to go ahead is to run it as a
non official mirror for a while and see what is involed in the updating process
how things behave.

You should look at:

CVS trees (branches)
release trees (i386, or i386 + alpha)
distfiles (source)
ports (i386, or i386 + alpha, various release and stable trees)
misc stuff

Yes, making the above available via anonymous ftp would be needed.  If you
just wanted to run a local CVSup site, then you can probably talk to john
polstra directly about getting added to cvsup*.freebsd.org if you're going
to do this officially.

cheers,

-jason