Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:41:45 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@Millions.Ca>
To:        Daisuke Aoyama <aoyama@peach.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox 3.1.6 does not work under i386 kernel

Daisuke Aoyama wrote:

> The PR's patch use check_png function in configure to set
> SDK_VBOX_LIBPNG_INCS, SDK_VBOX_LIBPNG_LIBS.
> It seems to be smart than mine, of course :)
> But I can't understand sed replacement section at line 1630.
> I don't need it for this issue. So my suggested patch is attached in
> this mail.

As the author of PR ports/145457 and its patch, maybe I can shed some
light on this. To create the patch, I did the following

cd virtualbox-ose
make extract
mkdir xxx
cp work/VirtualBox-3.1.6_OSE/configure xxx/configure.orig
make patch
vi work/VirtualBox-3.1.6_OSE/configure
	make check_png and SDK_VBOX_LIBPNG* changes
cp work/VirtualBox-3.1.6_OSE/configure xxx/configure
cp files/patch-configure xxx/patch-configure.orig
cd xxx
diff -u configure.orig configure > patch-configure
diff -u patch-configure.orig patch-configure > pr.patch

The "sed replacement section" is introduced by the make patch step, but
I was at a loss to explain how/why. Since I had what appeared to be a
working patch, I left it alone.

> Also there is my reproductive step by using ESXi Virtual Machine.
> I believe you can do.
>
> I tested VM(Mem:768M, HDD:8GB) on ESXi4.

I just went through a similar exercise with 8.0-RELEASE on bare metal.

> 6.) run VBoxManage
> # rehash
> # VBoxManage list vms
>
> 7.) you can get "ERROR: failed to create a session object!" :-)

I got the same result.

-stacy