Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:43:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portmap blocking in accept()

What version of freebsd is this?  I think this bug is fixed in newer
versions (4.0) can you try ou the patch in:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/rpc/svc_tcp.c.diff?r1=1.15&r2=1.16

and see if it helps?

thanks,
-Alfred

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Does anyone know what could cause portmap to block in accept() (it
> should normally block in select() from what I can tell, and this would
> make more sense). It looks as though it called accept for its TCP socket
> before the TCP socket was ready (looks like a bug). Because of this it
> was completely ignoring all UDP requests arriving on the UDP socket, so
> the machine became rather useless as an NFS server.
>
> I killed portmap and all RPC registered services to fix this... If I had
> bothered to think for a bit longer, simply establishing a connection to
> its TCP port would probably have kicked it back to life, but we never
> think of the obvious thing at the time.
>
> (I could read through the code, but it doesn't look like the easiest
> code to follow.)
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
> ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and
>                          |   ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]