Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:24:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Herve Quiroz <hquiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.java.mk and native jdk1.3.1p6

> Sure, but hopefully (knock on wood) we will get a binary release of the
> JDK out soon enough, such that regular users won't have to compile the
> JDK at all.

Sounds geek but I prefer compiling that installing binaries. But I agree
most users will use the binary distribution available.

> The reasons for not using Jikes is not a good idea (IMHO) is:
>
> 1) It requires alot of changes to the existing Makefile structure as
>    released from Sun.

Maybe some awk/sed surgery... ;)

> 2) Even if #1 is done, we would have to maintain these changes on our
>    own, and Sun has shown a propensity to radically change the build
>    environment between releases, such that the work would have to be
>    redone everytime a new release of the JDK was released.

Maybe the #1 surgery could be (quite) easily preformed again with just
some little modification.

> A binary release would solve most of the user problems, so hopefully
> that will happen soon.  (And no, I don't know when it will happen.)

Soon people all around the world will bow before the Java/FreeBSD alliance
brandishing the HotSpot banner... but not before a 10+ hours of compiling
:(

Herv=E9