Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:12:44 +0000
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 freezes under heavy hdd load

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 06:10:09PM +0100, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 05:38:29PM +0100, cyb wrote:
> > Could the freezes come from a faulty IDE hdd (which would mean that I
> > better get rid of it), or are there other possiblities.
>
> How much RAM do you have? I also had a freezing problem on a machine
> with 4 GB of RAM. As soon as I reduced the RAM to 2 GB the machine
> became stable. I've played around with KVA_PAGES, vm.kmem_size_max and
> could only influence the time it took to crash the machine.

It is necessary to increase KSTACK_PAGES (e.g. to 4) on machines with
certain patterns of heavy disk write load to avoid double faults in
the softupdates code (softupdates has potentially unbounded call stack
and can overflow the default kernel stack size without too much
effort).  This would cause panics though, not freezes.

Kris