Date:      01 Feb 98 23:34:39 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot banner (securing FreeBSD)

At 01 Feb 98 22:59:54 "David E. Cross" wrote regarding Re: FreeBSD boot banner
(securing FreeBSD)

 "E> Yes, this is what has already beeen done (BIOS password, with
 "E> disabled floppy drive for booting), but this is uselesss, as The
 "E> FreeBSD boot-block allows you to load the kernel from an
 "E> arbitrary device

Doesn't FreeBSD look in the bios for the existance of floppydrives? If you
totally disable the drive, fbsd won't look there, I guess.

<later>

Just tried, when I removed the drives in the bios, fbsd just rebooted when I
tried to boot from floppy.

But surely the floppy-code can be removed from the bootblock...

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---