Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:17:22 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@webmail.sub.ru>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pccardd in 5.3

> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:08:44 +0300
> From: Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@webmail.sub.ru>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to run pccardd under FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, and it fails to
> start, "fatal error: no PC-CARD slots".
>
> I'm running it on Compaq Armada with working PCCARD network. What
> should I add to kernel?
>
> Also, adding
>
> device apm
>
> to kernel did not make /dev/apmctl to appear, so apmd warns me about
> lack of APM support. With properly working ACPI, do I need apmd at
> all?

1. Please find and learn to use the <Enter> key. Lines should not exceed
about 72 characters.

2. If you are using the standard kernel in 5.2, pccardd is not used. It
is only used with OLDCARD kernels. Is there some reason you need to use
OLDCARD? (There are some systems that will not work with NEWCARD due to
the way the PCMCIA attaches on them.)

3. If you have ACPI, you can't have APM and vice-versa. You may still
have /dev/apm as the APM emulator that works with ACPI creates it, but
you won't have apmctl. You should not run apmd as it has no real APM to
work with. (You still probably want APM_ENABLE="YES" in rc.conf.)

Also, it you use ACPI, you don't need (or want) device apm in your
kernel. Back when ACPI was still causing me problems I would build the
kernel without APM and then use loader.conf to either load the apm
module (apm_load="YES") and disable ACPI (hint.acpi.o.disabled="1") or
not.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)