Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 12:33:09 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emu10k1 Sound driver hard locks on FreeBSD 6.1 release

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 02:10:44AM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:25:54 +0400
> "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru> wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> > 1. Does your sound card share interrupt with something else?
>
> I have read many emails of people with similar problems, but I havent
> found any solution. I suspect it is caused to the card sharing IRQs with
> something else, but since there is no driver attached to the snd card,
> pciconf / scanpci / dmesg / vmstat show no IRQ assigned to it.

What is the output of mptable(1) ??  What IRQ is assigned to the sound
card?  IIRC, PCI interrupts are mapped to one of the INT pins (A thru D)
and the interrupt steering mechanism maps the INT interrupts to IRQs.  I've
had troubles for example when my PCI modem (which allocates an IRQ for the
serial port) shares the INT pin with any other device, such as my NIC.
Because the sio(4) driver doesn't allow shared interrupts, I had to move my
modem to a slot which used INT D, since on my board no other slot or
onboard device uses INT D.  The problem persisted no matter what BIOS
settings I tried, or whether a freebsd driver attached to either device.

> I've started a tedious process of changing the PCI IRQ settings in the BIOS and
> mapping what sections of the pci bus are affected by each change, but havent
> been able to find what touches pci:27:0 (the one the Intel HDA is attached to).

Do you mean the hard drive controller?  I'm pretty sure that's hard-coded
to IRQs 14 & 15 (for primary & secondary controllers).

-- Rick C. Petty