Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 16:56:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        scott@statsci.com (Scott Blachowicz)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Scott Blachowicz stands accused of saying:

> Well, my Quantum Empire 1400S finally decided to stop spinning
> up...I've noticed that it seems to take several hits of the reset
> button before it would spin up and after turning it off yesterday,
> it just won't spin up. Now, when I turn it on, I hear three little
> rumbles while it tries to spin.

Geez.  Sounds like they're still building sticky drives.  I don't like
Quantum for just that reason.

Your best bet is to take the drive out of the chassis and unplug it
completely.  Hold it level in the air in front of you from above (over
something soft in case you drop it), and twist it _sharply_ around the
spindle axis.  (You are trying to make the platters inside turn a little
to unstick the heads).  Then reattach the power connector and power up
and see if it spins.

You may have to to the twist just after you apply power to get it
going.  As soon as you get it spinning, back it up and start talking
about warranty.

Note that turning your system off at the end of every day leads to
just this sort of problem.  If you can leave it running 24/7 and
just power your monitor down (or use a 'green' screesaver mode) you
will find that things last a _lot_ longer.