Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 19:45:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Mike Worst <mgworst@rainet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still trouble

> >        Mike, how big is the slice you're trying to install too? Have
> you
> >tried another drive by chance? You CDROM should probally be on the
> Primary
> >Slave (Sorry if I miscommunincated that yesterday, had just gotten back
> >from a camping trip...:) You might also want to check to make sure you
> >don't have an IRQ conflict somewhere along the line, IRQ 14 and 15
> being
> >used for the IDE controllers.
> >
> >                                        Rick
>
> You gave it to me right.  My CD-ROM is now on the primary slave, where
> it seems to be working.  At least sysinstall hasn't complained about not
> being able to find it.
>
> I haven't tried another drive.  There doesn't appear to be a conflict
> with
> IRQ's 14 or 15.
>
> It's a 20 gig Fujitsu with 2400 or so cylinders, in which C: is the
> primary partition and D: is in the extended partition, totaling 900 meg.
>
> The FreeBSD slice takes the rest of the drive, 19 gig or so.  I
> partitioned it as follows:
>
> 100M  /             ad0s3a
> 136M  swap              3b
> 1G    /dev              3e
> 100M  /var              3f
> 4G    /usr              3g
> 1G    /stand            3h
> 12G   /home             3d
>
> Since I have such a large drive I'm trying to be generous.
>
> I tried to place /home to start before the 1024th cylinder, but
> sysinstall doesn't show the cylinders, so I'm not sure about it.
>
> The complete error messages are:
>
> Error mounting /mnt/dev/ad0s3d on /mnt/home No such file or directory
> This is repeated for /stand, /usr and /var.
>
> Error mounting /dev/acd0c on /dist No such file or directory
>
> Would appreciate any help you can give me.  I'm intrigued by Free BSD.

	I'm not sure... at this point it sounds like a bad CDROM drive or
disk. Can you do a net install? I could certainly burn you off a copy and
install it that way, if needed. Heck for that matter we could hook it up
to my DSL and do it... see if that makes any difference. I personally just
have never seen those messages like that before... :)

						Rick