Date:      28 Mar 2002 07:12:25 -0800
From:      Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
To:        Jacob Andresen <zoner@hangzone.dk>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 02:57, Jacob Andresen wrote:

> are there any overview on how many would be interested in doing a
> opensource jvm? and perhaps something that needs to be done?

Rather than start work on a new opensource jvm, why not help out on one
of the existing opensource jvms.  For instance, the gcj project could
always use some more help (http://gcc.gnu.org/java).  While primarily
billing itself as native code compiler for Java, the runtime library
also includes a bytecode interpreter (no JIT yet).  It's working pretty
well right now.  For instance, we're able to build and run most of the
Apache projects (Tomcat, Xalan, etc).  But there's always more to do!

In the short term, right now we're preparing for the GCC 3.1 release
(gcj is part of GCC).  FreeBSD is one of the platforms giving us a
little trouble right now. See...
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/gcj-3.1-status.html
We could use help looking into the test failures on x86 FreeBSD, and
perhaps even trying builds on currently untested platforms.

There are many interesting longer term projects, like
developing/integrating a JIT compiler into the runtime.

Thanks,

AG