Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 09:18:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de
Subject:   Re: NIS/YP problems after cvsupdate

In article <20010518180103.B51108@curry.mchp.siemens.de>,
Andre Albsmeier  <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de> wrote:

> OK, now we need someone who got some idea what is happening here.
> I really don't know how setting some unused stuff in the
> ELF loader affects yppush :-(

Right.  It's not even setting unused stuff.  It's setting one location
to a bogus value and then immediately overwriting it with the correct
value.  This process doesn't even have any side-effects.  It probably
doesn't even change the load locations of the shared libraries, though
I haven't checked that.  All it does is shift some of the dynamic
linker code up by a few bytes.

When we looked at this before, I think we decided the NIS code must be
reading from a garbage address that happened to fall into the dynamic
linker.  That still seems the most likely explanation.

John