Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:39:59 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icmp type 3 code 4: a couple of questions

Dear Richard Martin,

thanks again for replying.

Well, actually, my homebox will behave, as it were, like a Klingon=20
spaceship: for example, it will normally deny **all** icmptypes except=20
type 3 code 4 (DF). When I need to ping, traceroute, etc., I will=20
*temporarily* remove some restrictions. At least, this is the idea.=20

I have achieved "invisibility" as well as the desired incoming icmp=20
packets 3.4 by simply allowing all icmptypes 3, and dropping all=20
outward bound icmp packets. If I fully understand the matter, this=20
method should work without (?) side effects. If this is the case, I=20
thus obtain the same result -- just as if I were allowing icmp 3.4=20
packets and rejecting all other icmptypes. =20

Needless to say, I have CONSTANTLY been portscanned (nice packets=20
having been sent to a bunch of ports such as tcp 23) in the last few=20
weeks; which is the reason for such drastic decisions.=20

Since utilities such as Firewalk (traceroute-like program) make use of=20
ICMP, I wish to prevent this kind of scans.

Back to my question: AFAICS, ipfilter can allow icmp 3.4 (blocking all=20
other icmptypes) whereas ipfw apparently cannot **exactly** do that.=20
However, if my understanding of the whole affair is correct (see=20
above), the issue is purely academic.

Best regards,
Salvo
=20

On 6/27/00, 6:17:57 PM, Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com> wrote=20
regarding Re: icmp type 3 code 4: a couple of questions:

> Add:

>     /sbin/ipfw add pass icmp from ${oip} to any icmptypes ${icmpallow}=

>     /sbin/ipfw add pass icmp from any to ${oip} icmptypes ${icmpallow}=

>     /sbin/ipfw add deny log icmp from any to any

> this lets the firewall machine ping in and out (used by Big Brother), =

but