Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:32:55 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a trick for /etc/ttys

Howard Lew wrote:

> Does anyone know of a trick to use in /etc/ttys that will let me use a
> modem off of one of the the ttyd lines that currently has a getty line
> turned on but is not currently in use?
>
> In other words, is there a way to use say ttyd2 when the modem is idle, so
> that I can dial out without actually modifying the /etc/ttys file and
> doing a kill -1 1 and killing the getty process?  For those familiar with
> mgetty, i have tried using the /etc/nologin.ttyd2 but that only prevents
> mgetty/vgetty from answer the phone.  It does not free up the port.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help.

mgetty works "straight out of the box" for me.  I use
/dev/cuaa2 to dial out instead of /dev/ttyd2 though.
You might try using /dev/cuaa2 (I believe you should
use that regardless of getty/mgetty/vgetty if you have
a modem attached to that port).
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798