Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:01:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-packages seem to be out of date.

> I'm not sure what you are talking about here.  What exactly was hard,
> concerning 2.2.5R?  I know that there were two mails from me to you

Well, I never did get any reply from you on the distfiles question and
ended up populating it myself by hand, plus there were the problems
with lynx, as I said, which came back as "we can't use the doc menu".

Admittedly I should have checked, but the fact that I needed to sort
of led me to wonder why I just don't dedicate some machine resources
(which I have in profusion around the net) to automating it, pruning
from the packaging list any of the "troublesome" packages which are
interactive or otherwise don't package easily on a stock system.
Given the rate at which the ports collection is growing, I don't think
that putting every single package on CD, even with 4 CDs, is going to
be possible for all that much longer anyway and we shouldn't grieve
too much to lose a package here or there if it make the whole process
run in that much more highly automated a fashion.

The 3.0 SNAPs are making it harder for me to liase with you since it
often needs to be a snap decision (no pun intended) based on my
evaluation of -current being stable enough to snapshot, the "window"
of such an event often being a day or less before some other
experimental breakage enters the tree.  I wasn't even sure I'd be able
to do any snaps at all for awhile there, things were that perpetually
shakey in -current.  You are also a busy guy, and as the recent
distfiles issue sort of illustrates, and are sometimes not available
for a decision when I need to get at a semi-authoritative collection
of bits in order to press a CD and get it out the door before it eats
up too much of my time, and I include the 2.2.5 CD in that list - it's
not just a snapshot problem which I can solve completely by leaving
the packages off that CD.  And as far as that's concerned, I don't
like option #3 myself - I'd just as soon build them incrementally over
time, using a system for determining when a given port is updated, so
that it's not this bug rush from hell every time to do it all at the
very last minute.

If I can evolve a system where I can just go look at some URL to find
the most authoritative set of packages as of that day's date vs having
to hassle Satoshi and the ports team in email to jump up and do 2
week's worth of work in 3 or 4 days, well I think it'd be a superior
solution for us both.

						Jordan