Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:15:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Duane Currie <sandman@hub.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GGI

Not quite...

You can run it without any kernel support, but the 3dfx executables would
then have to be run with root privileges.  There is a kernel driver that
executes the necessary code in privileged mode, but the program itself can
be run by any user.  So, basically, to run the programs in user-land, you
have to use the device driver.

GGI seems to take a similar approach, but they might require kgi (the
kernel part of the interface) and not allow it to be done otherwise.

It all comes down to the fact that hardware operations generally have to
be done with privileged access, either as root or in the kernel.  The
kernel is the better option mainly due to the fact that it allows access
by any user.

As usual, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

Duane